"They're not pets! It's a mutual agreement. You are the voice of the mute and you give the mute attention, they're silenced beings who can't speak and in return they give you love, affection and simp content. It's mutual bonding, not bondage. You can't f*ck your mute." ― Roflgator
Having a personal mute is a part meme, part insult and part praise that all depends on the context. A personal mute can be said to be a "sidekick" in a way. Most of the arrangements are mutual and are usually some form of roleplaying. They may even be of a romantic nature similar to shipping.
Starting out as an in-house RP meme for the Gator RP Group it spread to other groups and even onto the Twitch Streaming platform, outside of VRChat. This specific article however focuses on mute partnerships inside the Gator RP Group and partnerships outside of this group are encouraged to be listed in a seperate article.
The personal mute meta in 2021 has evolved from being mostly a meme to being a partnership to entertain while live-streaming. It is often described by Roflgator as a way for male streamers to provide VTuber-like "simp content" on their streams without wearing female avatars themselves.
Being a personal mute means that you follow a person around acting and reacting to the person you are following in some manner. You can be quirky, friendly or outright hostile and violent.
Having a personal mute means they follow you around and the arrangement can involve multiple "personal mutes".
The personal mute bond is a partnership, not slavery and any such suggestion is highly frowned upon. It is generally regarded as really bad to engage in ERP with your mute.
Fitting the definition of a "personal mute" goes back historically as far as VRChat history in 2018 but wasn't cemented until Roflgator coined and popularized the term when he asked Zager to become his personal mute to "act quirky and cute" to his Twitch stream on Mar 4th 2020. Zager as the first "personal mute" would later be rejected as Roflgator replaced her with Dotty.
On July 2nd 2020, the elected bricktown president AskJoshy voided all current mute contracts, and the mutes were allowed to re-select their partners or become independent.
On Sept 7th 2020 Rob added a "mute cam" to his Twitch stream webcam with both Blu Haze and Firefox Blue. Breaking the fourth wall of the mute meta. On Oct 4th 2020 after Roflgators encouragement, Sodapoppin created a similar "mute camera" for his stream with Happy Thoughts.
Streamer Shroud found out about the mute meta and expressed wanting to acquire his own personal mute partnership after watching Sodapoppins stream.
On Nov 21st 2020, DotTaiga was found to have become mute, and so they took the mute oath and became Moxy's mute partner.
After having discussions on stream on June 22nd 2021 Roflgator considered how bad the "personal mute" meme had become. Instead of being a stream mascot, which was his intended purpose, players who do not stream started using the bond as a form of negative power dynamic or to collect them as trophies. This causing discomfort for some pairings or it being taken too seriously like real relationships as in not wanting to "cheat" on your mute partner when it's all just a joke in the first place. Admitting he was wrong to push and popularize the meme when it turned into something outside of his control he expressed wanting to abolish it completely.
- Also see: VRChat stream mascot
A list of the current mute partnerships in the Gator RP Group
- Roflgator with Kyokeru
- MurderCrumpet with Aeriy and CrazyMango
- IRON＄JEW with Ravnn
- Kasumi with Karynn
- Pokelawls with Tevin (unconfirmed)
- Cyr with Link EZ and Zager
- Bolivardi with Gomoryy
- WillNeff with Dotty
- Bobe with Krispy Creed, MaverickMPM, Sorpi and Yousoro
- Sorry with Aika
- Ruthless Ruby with InYouEndo
- Strippin with Qynoa
- JakenbakeLIVE with The Yishai
- Lawlman with DotTaiga
- Nonautologous with LaserShield
- NovellusDea with Erin~
- SciFri with CorpusVR and Margot The Mute
- Lewissmile with Sunshine 24-7
- Novaruu with Eevi
- AxMan with Tohka_Chan
- ImAReallyBigNerd with NikNakZ
- VeronicaJae with Jensu
- Vincent X with Mabel_Tree and Potehto
- PinkTrilobite with Gap Gap, Lex Go and ZoReee
- Lacari with Glider
- Hamlinz with Mioshi
- Elisera and Zanven with Kisssmeh
- Gap Gap (void July 2nd 2020)
- Internet Pope
- LaurenLore (traded to Kibby)
- Autistic Bard (void July 2nd 2020)
- Krispey Creed (void July 2nd 2020)
- K7Valkyrie (May 19th-May 26th 2020)
- Protect (stopped showing up to lobbies)
- CrazyMango (void May 15th 2020)
- Sorpi (void February 28th 2021)
- CrazyMango (void July 2nd 2020)
- Sn0wBreeze (void July 2nd 2020)
- Link EZ (void July 8th 2020)
- Blu Haze
- Firefox Blue (void July 8th 2020)
- Tohka_Chan (void July 2020)
- Vincent X
- Tohka_Chan (void July 2020)
- Ravnn (void July 2020)
- LaserShield (void February 28th 2021)
- Sn0wBreeze (void August 7th 2020)
- DjDeyar (void February 28th 2021)
- Aika (void November 27th 2020)
- ZoReee (void March 15th 2021)
- Glider (void February 28th 2021)
- Gomoryy (void February 28th 2021)
- Gap Gap (void February 28th 2021)
- Kyokeru (void March 15th 2021)
- Ruthless Ruby
- Sur Lee
- Kyuu Ketsuki
- The term was notably coined by Roflgator but may have been used prior to him calling it that.
- Jor Rilla protested against the mute practice during a mute competition, arguing emancipation of mutes and that they all deserve freedom. He stationed himself visibly with a sign saying: "BETTER OFF DEAD THAN OWNED BY LUMPHEAD!"
- A white knight named Flanderson also protests against the practices of keeping personal mutes.
- Some refer to Chipz and Lanfears relationship as fitting the description of a personal mute but Lanfear has strongly rejected the idea saying "I'm not property".
- Zapdec and Kibby are known to trade in personal mutes as some of their Z and K services.
- Wooks is not a mute. He is an Emperor penguin.
- Introduction to mutes Zager, Rogue and Link_EZ
- Mute Pokemon battle Zager vs Blu Haze
- Flanderson the knight of the mutes
- DotTaiga taking the mute oath
- Twitch VOD - Roflgator describes the mute bond
- Twitch Clip - Roflgator describes the personal mute relationship
- YouTube archived VOD - Zager as Roflgators "personal mute" coining of the term
- Twitch Clip - Roflgator rejects Zager as his personal mute
- Twitch Clip - Mizkif wants a personal mute
- Moonmoon after learning about mutes
- Twitch Clip - The mute meta has breached the fourth wall
- Sodapoppin Twitch Clip - Happy Thoughts thanks subscribers on his stream
- Twitch Clip - Shroud wants to get a mute like Sodapoppin with Roflgators help